Best Hatchet for Backpacking – Reviews & Guide
Choosing the best hatchet for backpacking is one of the main factors that determine the success of your camping escapades or any other outdoor activity that require backpacking. While there are many types and models of hatchets to choose from in the market, quite a few are the ones that make a difference when it comes to backpacking.
You need to exercise caution when choosing the best backpacking hatchet in order to make your activity worthwhile and enjoyable. During your backpacking exercise, you should be sure to develop a list of important items that you need in order to have a fruitful experience in your outdoor activity. This list should have only the items that you must use so that you can avoid packing those items that you will not need or use. Hatchets are important items in any backpacking list because they come in handy when you want to chop up or axe wood for your fire or other important needs.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Hatchet for Backpacking
When camping, a knife is your best friend. However, knives have their limits and that is where the hatchet comes in. As Gary Paulsen showed in his fictional work Hatchet, a young man endured the wilderness for 54 days using just a simple hatchet. Buying the best backpacking hatchet is therefore the first step towards your best experiences during your outdoors. Even if you are one of those ecologically sensitive campers that only collect wood from the bushes or forest floors, you still need hew the collected wood or cut it down to correct sizes for your fire pit.
You need to consider whether you need an axe or hatchet. This is because while having the two is a nice thing, backpacking the two is cumbersome and a waste of space. When choosing or buying the best backpacking hatchet, you will need to consider the following important things;
When you need a hatchet for your outdoor activities, you need to consider the cost of this tool. While buying a cheap hatchet is good, not all cheap items are perfect for the outdoor. You therefore need the best hatchet for the money that you spend on it. You should plan before hand for all your outdoor activities. This plan includes budgeting and making funds available for the best hatchet for the money that you actually have.
Durability: Not Easily Broken
In order to survive and enjoy the wilderness, you need the best hatchet for backpacking that will serve partly as your hammer, weapon and most importantly, log splitter. This means that you and a very durable functional hatchet that will not break. You need a hatchet that will not break off to cause accidents during your outdoor activities. The more durable the hatchet, the more you will enjoy your outings and survival.
Weight: Bearable Lightness
You should bear in minds that you need the best hatchet for backpacking that combines price, durability and weight in perfect proportions. Every outdoor tool need not be too heavy to backpack. Your choice of hatchet should have comfortable weight in order to conveniently backpack and carry with you. Not unless you are a professional in wood splitting, you need something that will allow you to comfortably lift up without losing your balance.
Functionality: Ease of Use
The best backpacking hatchet should be the one that functions properly and correctly. It should be easy to use with the right size, handle and grip. You should be able to lift it comfortably without tripping to the sides or breaking your back. While splitting logs or wood for your fire pit, the tool should function to provide the best experience for inexperienced loggers. Most campers are usually in search of fun and exploration and the hatchet should therefore not come between this.
Material: What the Hatchet Is Made Of
The materials used to make your the hatchet should be considered such that your tool is not too heavy, too expensive or too cumbersome to pack. The best backpacking hatchets should be made of steel in order that it does not rot. This removes the possibility of poisoning or affecting other items in your backpack. In most cases, the materials used determine the cost, the weight, the quality and the functionality of this important tool.
Backpacking: Easy to Carry Along
All items for backpacking should render themselves ready-to-pack. Your hatchet is not an exception. In order to pack properly, your hatchet should come with the facilities that provide for this. This includes a leather wrapper, short but functional handle and as mentioned before, light weight. You should be able to comfortably pack and unpack the hatchet as easily as possible. Remember that the hatchet is not the only item that you will pack during your outdoor activities.
There are a number of good hatchets for backpackers to choose from. Once you have determined the correct purposes for which you need the tool, you should buy only the highest quality. Here are the choices for the best hatchet for backpacking on your way to explore the wilderness.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet
This compact hatchet designed by Gerber comes with a protective sheath to keep it safe while not in use. You will find it especially comfortable to backpack as it weighs the same as a liter of water at 1.4 pounds. This powerful but short tool will come in handy when you want to make a temporary shelter in the wilderness in case the weather changes abruptly. Your fire needs will be taken care of using this hatchet because, as the weather deteriorates, the better the tool becomes.
With its small but powerful 3.5 inch razor sharp blade, the tool will split your wood in a way that is above other tools of the same weight-class. Featuring a full-tong construction and a slim profile, this tool is perfect for survival situations in the wilderness. It also has a rubber handle that will ensure that the grip is tight and does not slip where working on your wood. This hatchet is therefore suitable for all your outdoor or camping needs.
- No slip grip. It does not slip because of its leather handle.
- Double duty head. The head cross-hatched to provide a striking surface for your outdoors needs.
- Strong sheath. This provides a protective surface to cover the blade when you are not using the tool.
- Small and powerful blade. This will provide you with the chopping end for your wood splitting and other activities.
- Sleek design. You will find the tool quite striking and elegant
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Fiskars Consumer Prod 78506935 14-Inch Hatchet
One of the striking features of Fiskars consumer prod 78506935 is its affordability. Capped at only about $20, the tool is well at reach of and affordable to campers of all social classes. When you want to chop small and medium sized logs, this is the tool for you. You will find out that you need to get done with your wood faster in order to enjoy your camping to the fullest. To avoid spending too much time on your wood, the tool chops deeper than many other tools of the same size with every swing.
Just like what you would expect from an aluminum baseball bat, the tool has perfect balance and weight-to-power ratio that serves to multiply power by increasing the swing speed. For those campers that need to combine the perfect balance with multiplied swing speed power to save time, this is the tool to choose. The best hatchet for backpacking should have a nice grip and this definitely fits in.
- Proprietary blade-grinding technique. This will provide you with a sharp edged blade that chops deeper with each swing.
- This is the best hatchet for money because it comes with a life-time warranty.
- Short and compact. This hatchet is only 14 inch meaning that you will enjoy its perfect short and compact modern design.
- Better contact with wood. The tool features a sharp edge that provides you with the best wood –and-hatchet contact that produces cleaner and deeper cuts. You will enjoy more exciting camping exercises with this tools that saves you on time.
- Sleek design. If you are looking for the best design in the market, this where to get it.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Schrade SCAXE2L Survival 15.7-Inch Hatchet
If you are looking for the best backpacking hatchet, this titanium coated 3Cr13 Stainless Steel head hatchet is perfect. In this, you will have a multipurpose tool that has a pommel head for your striking needs. In the outdoor life, you will find that this hatchet provides you with all what you need for your wood chopping, tent fixing and other important camping activities. Fitted with a rubber handle, your palms are protected from blisters that usually result from friction. This means that you will not only work better, but chop your wood in a comfortable manner.
With a blade length of 4.2 inches and handle length of 6.8 inches, the tool has a total of just 15.7 inches in overall length that will fit quite well in your backpack. The leather sheath will protect you as well as other items in your backpack from the sharp edge of the tool. The tool will also provide you with other important additions like sharpening stone to make sure that you enjoy your time out to the maximum.
- 3Cr13 Stainless Steel head coated with aluminum. This also has a hammer pommel that provides you with that much needed striking surface.
- Black Glass PA handle that is filled with fiber.
- Black ergonomic TPR rubber grip that ensures that the tool does not slip from your hands.
- Ferro rod with Lanyard Stores inside handle. This is again perfect for your grip.
- Comes with sharpening stone for your outdoor needs.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Fiskars X11 Splitting Axe, 17-Inch
Deviating from the traditional hatchets that are cumbersome, dull and easily breakable, the Fiskars X11 Splitting Axe, 17-Inch and all other X11 series are easy to use and perfect for secondary and quick axe jobs. For your one-handed small log splitting jobs, this hatchet is perfect for all your backpacking needs. You will find this hatchet simple, functional and very effective making it simple for you to split, chop logs or even fell quite a number of big trees in very little time.
This tool also provides you with perfected balance and weight-to-power ratio that gives you maximum power with every swing, much like a baseball bat. The ultra-sharp blade gives you an opportunity to chop and split with little effort with every swing. You will have a FiberComp handle that is stronger than steel that does not break out of overstrike. The PermaHead insert-molded axe head on the other hand, will ensure that this does not loosen or fly off on your face.
- Increased power at impact. This tool is designed such that the maximum weight is distributed at the head section while the handle remains lightweight. This makes the tool to chop three times deeper than the ordinary axes.
- Optimal power-to-weight ratio. This is provided by the distribution of the weight to the head section making the tool more efficient and easy-to-use.
- Proprietary grinding technique. This technique gives your hatchet a superior blade design that ensures proper contact with the wood while proving cleaner and deeper cuts.
- Hardened, forged steel blades. These ones ensure that your hatchet stays sharp longer than the usual axes.
- Advanced bevel convex blade geometry. This serves to add more power to your tool making the work easier and faster.
- The X11series are virtually unbreakable and therefore quite durable. You will need such a tool if you need to survive the wilderness.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Set of 2 Camping Hatchets Multi Functional Axe Fiberglass Handle 14″ Survival
If you are out camping in a pair, why not nice it up with a set of two camping hatchets that are multifunctional with fiberglass handles? These are perfect hatchets for survival in the wilderness and can provide that much needed convenience and practicability. With a blade length of 4 inches and total length of just 14 inches, these sets are what you need to ensure nice backpacking of essential tools for your outdoors.
The tools also provide you with that textured rubber handle that ensures that they do not slip off or fly off in the process of splitting your wood. The best thing about these identical twins is the fact that you have a choice of colors. For those of you that like color ranges, there is always a choice.
- Short, compact and powerful. The tool features an overall length of just 14 inches making them to fit well in your backpack.
- Great power at impact. These hatchets are so designed that you will get increased power at the impact of the sharp edge with the wood. This provides great efficiency and effectiveness while saving time and energy.
- Non-slip handle. This handle does not slip easily and therefore quite efficient and adds 40% more striking power by design.
- Durable for long. The hatchets are made of durable materials that will last for long, such that you will be able to always enjoy your days out.
- Light weight. This product will only add 4.2 ponds to your backpack meaning that it is light enough to include in your other list of items for camping.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Condor Tool and Knife 1-Pound Scout Hatchet with Leather Sheath
These are among the essentials of a perfect outdoor escapade. If you are looking for the finest quality of cutting tools, these are the perfect essentials. With a heritage spanning for centuries since 1787, Condor tool and knife provide you with an opportunity to share in this historical wealth. These tools are made by some of the most highly trained personnel in the world.
When going for a camping expedition, you need these tools that feature 99 sculpted vents, replaceable soft pads and condor classic blade finishing. They are made of 1045 high carbon steel to make your hatchet blade as durable as possible. For your camping cutlery needs, you therefore have to make this condor tool and knife an essentiality. They come in handy when you need to go beyond cutting to chopping logs for your warm and comfort to food preparation activities.
- 99 sculpted vents that offer the best designs for your tool-use and cutting needs.
- Soft but replaceable pads for your convenience. Soft materials are essential to make sure that the tools are comfortable to use and pack.
- Condor classic blade finish that gives you the much needed finish for a job well done. It is quite important in the design of the tool to properly use and store.
- 1045 high carbon steel. The tools are made from this material to make them long-lasting for the best hatchet for the money.
- American Hickory 10 inch handle that perfectly maintains proper grip. This is good for your safety and that of your friends.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Helko Classic Pathfinder Hatchet
This German-made hatchet features some of the most essential characteristics of camping gears. They are made of German C45 high grade carbon steel, 53-56 HRC to make them as durable as possible and provide you with the best value for your money. If you are looking for the best handles made in Switzerland, linseed oiled and FSC certified Grade A American hickory, these are the hatchets that you should be backpacking. With only 2lb in weight, you should be hiking and camping with these ones in the most comfortable ways. Set off for the forests and mountains with your Helko Classic Pathfinder hatchet together with its leather sheath for your safety when you are not using it.
The tool is best for your general use when backpacking, camping or just on your backyard. You can use this one with just one hand and therefore quite convenient.
- Short, compact and powerful. You can use this tool for general purposes with ease. This means that you do not need a lot of strength to perform quit a number of your camping and backpacking activities.
- For your backpacking needs, the tool is lightweight and therefore highly portable for your outdoor uses.
- Features leather sheath. This is good to ensure that you do not suffer from accidental cuts from the tool when you are not using it or when it is in your backpack.
- Non-slip handle. This linseed oiled handle ensure that the tool does not slip off or fly when you are working with it.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet
Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet features only the materials and components that are necessary without compromising the quality and functionality of the hatchet. The previous designs had a steel wedge to add extra support to the wooden wedge. However, with continuous improvement of the product, the steel wedge is no longer necessary.
This is a right size of axe for your backpacking needs suitable for general use. You can also attach this hatchet on your belt for that comfortable feel. With this popular hatchet, you can chop, split or cut wood depending on the need at hand. The 13.5 inch hickory handle of this hatchet attaches to a one pound head with a 3 inch bit; this makes it perfect for general use or as a gift to your colleagues. The oil finish of this hatchet’s blade is perfect to provide it with the sharpness needed for all uses I a fast and convenient manner.
- Light weight. The tool is only 1.5 pounds in weight that makes it perfect for backpacking or strapping on your belt.
- Sleek modern design. This tool features the best designs for that sleek look. It is also designed for general purposes making it the best choice for all camping activities.
- Lack of the metal wedge. The current models of these tools no longer come with the metal wedge because they are no longer necessary.
- Strong and compact. This tool is both strong and compact. It can be used for all purposes as you continue with your camping activities.
- Sharp and functionally-efficient. This tool remains sharp for long to provide you with the needed functionality.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Fallout Wilderness Outdoor Camping Hatchet
At only 11 inches long, Fallout Wilderness Outdoor Camping Hatchet is one of the most popular backpacking and camping hatchet that you can find in the market. The blade of this hatchet is made of stainless steel and therefore does not rust. It also has a nice black finish with a gut hook for your camping functional duties. The rubber-coated ABS handle gives you a non-slip texture for comfortable grip and safety when working outdoors. The Velcro fastened sheath provides you with porting safety gears to avoid accidents.
- Short, strong and compact. This allows for your outdoor general chopping and cutting needs without having to carry heavy axes.
- You can use this hatchet using your one hand while the other is performing assistive roles.
- Stainless steel blades. These ones ensure that your hatchet is not collusive preventing possible harms out of this activity.
- This hatchet is long lasting and therefore ensures that you are not in and out of stores looking for the same camping gear all the time.
- Best Hatchet for Backpacking: Helko Vario 2000 Universal Hatchet
Helko Vario 2000 Universal Hatchet is one of the most popular hatchets that you can use when backpacking and exploring the outdoors. It is made of the German C45 high grade carbon steel, 53-56 HRC that makes it durable and weather-resistant. If you are looking for the most convenient hatchet for your outdoors, this is the tool to backpack or strap on your belt. The tool is only 1.25 lb in weight giving you the perfect opportunity for a light but powerful cutting and chopping tool. To protect you from being harmed by the sharp blade, this German C45 high grade carbon steel, 53-56 HRC model comes with a leather sheath for your safety and that of other items in your pack or vicinity while the tool is not in use.
If you are looking for the smallest of Helko’s patented Vario 2000 Product Line, this is the one that you should be thinking of. It is perfect for the general uses in your outdoors.
- Patented screw system. This offers you an easy interchange-ability of axe blades and handles to make sure that you only use what you want for particular contexts. You can interchange your blades within the various models that you have to come up with just what you want for the job.
- German DIN 7287 B manufacturing standard hardened blades. These ensure that you have a durable and strong cutting tool.
- German C45 high grade carbon steel. This also ensures durability of your hatchet.
- Vegetable tanned leather sheath that is hand-made in the USA for your safety and convenience.
- It also comes with one oz bottle of Axe-Guard protective oil for your use.
Editor, Virtualskillset Inc.